During our Fighting Fitness segment from SWAT Fuel, Jarrad discusses the subject of nutrition on on the road. Is it possible to eat well on the road or are we doomed to cheeseburgers and fried chicken?
Also, for this week’s Brownells Bullet Points we will examine hearing protection and what one law enforcement agency is going to do to improve hearing safety. What does this mean to the average person and for the future of the Hearing Protection Act?
Today’s Homework: Leave a review on our facebook page: https://www.studentofthegun.com/facebook
Topics Covered During This Episode:
- Training in Vegas week of SHOT, Shane Iversen, Valkyrie Training Solutions: valkyrietrainingsolutions.com/
- Fighting Fitness brought to you by SWAT Fuel: Truck Drivers – Nutrition on the Road
- Brownells Bullet Points: Sound Suppressors: Addressing a Known Risk: https://www.officer.com
- Police Acknowledging: Spokane Police will add suppressors to rifles, citing concerns about hearing damage: http://www.spokesman.com
- Road Trip Follow up
- Patriot Fire Team Manual: https://www.studentofthegungear.com/
FEATURING: SS Online Coach, Silencer Shop, Madison Rising, Jarrad Markel, SOTG University
PARTNERS: Brownells Inc, Froglube, Crossbreed Holsters, Century Arms, SWAT Fuel, DuraCoat Firearm Finishes, Silencer Shop
FIND US ON: iHeart Radio, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon, GunDistrict, iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Google Play, YouTube, Full 30, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, tumblr
The fact that your agency made a conscious decision not to use them could very well land you in hot water and leave you open for litigation.
Scenario Number 1: Your “High Risk Warrant” team boots the door of some unlicensed pharmacy looking for Johnny Loser the Meth Cooker. Everyone inside the house complies with the “Get down! Get down!” command, except Johnny. Johnny instead bursts out of the back bedroom with his favorite stolen pistol and opens up on the entry team. Officers A and B engage Johnny and discharge their M4 carbines. The .223 TAP loads put Johnny down for the count.
Suzie Methhead, who was proned out on the floor starts screaming. The team leader gives her commands but she doesn’t respond. The muzzles of both rifles were less than ten feet from her head when the shots were fired.
Fast forward six months and your City Attorney brings in a copy of the lawsuit brought by Suzie Methhead’s attorney claiming she now has permanent hearing damage from her close proximity to the gun shots. “Aha!” you exclaim, exigent circumstances, it could not have been helped. We were forced to shoot Johnny and had no other recourse so tough luck buddy.
Rifles carried by Spokane police on patrol will soon be equipped with suppressors, a move the department says will protect officers and civilians from hearing damage.
“It’s nothing more than like the muffler you put on your car,” said Lt. Rob Boothe, the range master and lead firearms instructor for the department.
Outfitting the department’s 181 service rifles with suppressors will protect the city from the legal costs of worker’s compensation claims filed by officers, as well as from potential lawsuits filed by bystanders whose ears are exposed to firearm blasts. The sound of a fired shot can be louder than the takeoff of jet engines, the department says.
The $115,000 contract raised some eyebrows on the Spokane City Council, who signed off on the purchase last month after they say police satisfied concerns the devices would soften, not silence, a rifle’s report.
“I had a couple citizens contact me about why the police are using suppressed rifles,” City Council President Ben Stuckart said. “I thought it was appropriate to get information.”
Suppressors are sometimes interchangeably referred to as “silencers,” a remnant of early 20th-century advertising for the first device to muffle a gunshot’s blast.
Latest posts by Jarrad Markel (see all)
- Behind the Scenes Development of Accur8 Night Sights - July 17th, 2018
- SOTG 706 – H.R. 38 National Carry Reciprocity Passes the House - December 11th, 2017
- SOTG 699 – Church Security: More than Guns - November 28th, 2017
- SOTG 697- Proof: Gun Control is Mind Control - November 23rd, 2017
- SOTG 696 – Banning Muzzleloaders: We’re not Kidding & Gains on the Go Follow Up - November 22nd, 2017